Friday 16 November 2012

13. Mattress measuring begins!

Tuesday 13th November 2012

I have just re-read Monday’s blog and feel I should make it clear that although I found what I saw yesterday really awful, I know that many significant improvements have been made since the partnership was formed between Kisiizi and The Countess more than four years ago. Kisiizi Hospital is certainly at the top of the league tables in comparison to other hospitals in the region so I just dread to think what those other hospitals are like. I have to keep reminding myself that I am in a developing country and things are going to be very different than at home. One thing that is certainly very different is what I wear here for work. I did know before I came that trousers were not an option, but hadn't imagined I would so quickly get into wearing a dress with trainers. It’s not exactly a great look but the practically of walking around the hospital grounds and up and down the road to the guest house over what are sometimes very uneven surfaces, has had me choosing trainers over flat shoes every time. Talking of dress code I don’t think I have mentioned yet about how smart all the nurses look? They proudly walk around the grounds in their freshly laundered pale blue uniforms with neat navy cardigans and pristine white caps. Every morning in the Chapel they are smiling, singing and clapping, and it is clear how much they enjoy working here. It provides a really uplifting start to each day.
 
Another thing I didn't mention yesterday was that quite early on during our tour of the hospital in the Medical Ward, we were introduced to Esther, a nurse here. She was looking very upset as her husband was examined by a Doctor, and I noticed that a Reverend was leading prayers around the bedside. I learn that her husband is a science teacher and was preparing a lesson when he mixed two chemicals together, presumably in error, and the mixture exploded causing serious acid burns. He was brought in early on Monday and this morning at Chapel we learnt that very sadly he died overnight. Many prayers are said for Esther and her family – she has been widowed with two young girls aged one and a half and two and a half. It is a sobering start to the day obviously. During Chapel announcements one member of staff stands up and advises about arrangements for the staff Christmas party on 15th December. It appears that depending on the grade of work you do, your level of contribution for the party is adjusted accordingly. After the service Moses explains to me that to ask a porter to pay 10,000 (£2.50) is like saying to him ... don’t come ... as there is just no chance they could afford it. I consider paying myself to send them all to the party but then find out that there are 70 porters. I know that I will probably end up sponsoring an orphan whilst I am here, so I take a reality check and remind myself that I need to limit the extent of level of my charitable giving otherwise this will end up being a very expensive trip for me!
 
On my way to the hospital armed with my pen, notepad and tape measure, I meet the man in charge of waste that we met yesterday and he gives me a beaming smile. That sets me up for job ahead. I start with the Children’s ward and find I am getting some amused looks from parents as I start measuring the width and length of the beds whilst their children are still lying in them. The ward is no less depressing than yesterday. I’m unable to measure the beds in a couple of the private rooms as one child is screaming and another looks as though he is having his leg plastered. Next stop is the Isolation ward and for the reasons mentioned yesterday I am not really looking forward to this one. There are 2 bays, numbers 23 and 7 that I am advised to avoid, presumably they are the more contagious areas, so I am not going to argue with that.
 
The drum starts banging to announce Banana Break and I am glad of a sit down for 20 minutes. It is quite tiring walking between wards, standing for fairly long periods and leaning over beds to get the measurements. I have remembered by Cranberry and Orange Twinings teabag and it tastes delicious. The bananas are a welcome energy boost too. During break Sarah informs me that she has arranged for me to go out into the community on Thursday with Night, who runs the Orphans programme, and there may also be time to visit a Primary School. This sounds as though it will be an interesting experience. Sarah also presents us all with our ID badges to be worn around the grounds although I admit I felt a bit of a fraud later that afternoon wearing my badge on the wards as it is the same badge that the Doctors wear. I was sure that many of the patients looked at the badge as I approached their bed and immediately thought I had come to examine them or provide a diagnosis from an earlier examination. They were no doubt pretty surprised when I got out my tape measure and not a stethoscope.
 
After break I moved on to measure the beds in the Mental Health ward. It really is a close call between this ward and the Children’s, as to which is the most depressing. Under one of the mattresses I find a hidden razor blade which I report to the staff. They are very grateful. Perhaps I have unwittingly saved a life today. That would be very fulfilling if it were the case.
 
Lunch at Rose Cottage today is rice and mixed vegetables which was actually very tasty followed by passion fruit. During the afternoon I got round to visiting the remaining wards and measured most of the mattresses with just a few exceptions – e.g. the labour ward was in use so it didn't seem appropriate at that time to pop in and measure up – they were a bit busy - I’ll visit again tomorrow!I see Angus, one of the Australian Medical students, in the Medical ward where he has joined the ward round with a team of Kisiizi doctors and nurses. They seem deep in discussion about a patient in the bed at the top of the ward who has a lot of relatives standing around. I’m guessing that he is pretty ill.
 
I had obviously seen photos of the mattresses previously as we had used these to put together the leaflet to promote the “Sponsor a Mattress” scheme back in Chester, but it was still horrible to see the state of some of them I honestly mean it when I say some of them were so awful you would not want to put an animal on them.
 
We get some nice news today. Philip who looks after us in the guest house has become a father for the first time. His wife is in the hospital and she gave birth to a baby girl last night. They have named her Treasure. As is the culture here, Philip was not present at the birth, in fact he told us he hadn't visited yet as he was too busy working. But he does seem pretty pleased with the news.
 
I had an hour to spare so thought I would write my blog for Sunday and load it. OMG! I don’t think I have had a more frustrating hour. I kept logging on to Blogger.com but it just wouldn't let me sign on. In the end, just before I threw my computer out of the window I managed to get a very brief connection to the internet so sent the latest blog as a Word doc to Andy to upload for me. Thanks Andy – you are a superstar! I’m also struggling for some reason to attach photos. The computer seems to pretty selective about which ones if will accept and which ones it won’t. I’ll keep trying.
 
I did some washing using two bowls in the garden. Had I realised that where I would be staying would have a washing line in full view of the area where we all sit for our meals, I would have packed fewer pairs of my BIG Bridget Jones knickers. There really wasn't any way to disguise them so I just prayed it would stay sunny and dry them quickly.
 
I popped down to the Round House for a coffee with Beccy and Haley before dinner and to find out what measurements the dressmaker needs. I’m planning to get some dresses made in African material for Heidi, Erin and Naomi. Some of the girls have had these done on previous visits, and Josephine in the laundry is apparently an excellent seamstress so I’ll get the measurements sent from back home, find a local shop selling material and then place my order.
 
We had a couple of heavy but short rain showers before dinner and the power went off again. Perhaps not a bad thing as it was a pretty strange combination tonight. Matoki, which is steamed banana,lilac coloured peanut sauce, cabbage and sausage casserole (left over from Saturday so we need to finish it off tonight to avoid it coming out again in a couple of days!). Everybody was pretty tired tonight so I started my Monday blog and read a bit. I've had a tickly cough and runny nose for the past couple of days which looks like it might develop into more – hope not.

1 comment:

  1. HI Jan

    Ive just caught up on your last two days blogging as I've had a busy weekend with: a rugby match night watching Sale Sharks in Manchster on Fri, a Liverpool Music Awards Event on Sat and a pamper day today Sunday with Steph to cheer her up in a spa place with a swim and sauna too...again all reminding me how lucky many of us are here in the UK compared to where you are...

    And hHow sad about the poor young nurse who is now widowed and her children who have lost their father :( and so many other sick people with awful mattresses to endure amongst other things. I was unaware of the 'sponsor a mattress' scheme thay you have organised (?) so let me know when you are home how I can sponsor one as I would like to.

    Oh Jan picturing you in your Bridget Jones knix, and a dress worn with your trainers has made me laugh tonight! What a sight for sore eyes you must look. But hey ...comfort is more important with all that you are doing! Keep up the good work and most importantly : Get Well Soon Jane - you sound quite under the weather with that chesty cough at the moment.

    Lotsa love
    Lil' Sis Lynne x x x

    ReplyDelete